- Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo
- Her fur colors are red, black, and cream with light brown eyes. She's short with a long tail
- Refugee? - Previously the biounit for the ship's computer developed by EG
Nil's an EG modified Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroos, a programmed biounit used as the main computer for a starship, who 'ran' away and was later rescued by the SOS crew. Genoworks is actively seeking to recover her.
- She first appeared in Sink or Swim being pulled out of the main computer on a derelict ship by Outback. (Sink or Swim, strip 88) Once she was removed, the main computer went offline. (Sink or Swim, strip 89)
- Considers her born body to be inferior, (Sink or Swim, strip 98) and having had little experience with it is unable to recognize such things as bleeding, (Sink or Swim, strip 99) a reason to wear clothes, (Sink or Swim, strip 107) 'sweet', (Sink or Swim, strip 108) eating, or sleeping, (Sink or Swim, strip 110) and considered the ship she was embedded in to be her 'proper' body. (Sink or Swim, strip 101)
- She had never even been outdoors before. (Sink or Swim, strip 153)
- She was raised being told she was created for the uplink, and her flesh body was just a shell to hold her mind until she was transferred to the superior body. (Sink or Swim, strip 102)
- After being uplinked for several years, she was given full control of her ship and a recon mission. Since nobody had boarded and she didn't want to do recon, she went joyriding - but without star maps or a functioning comm unit (it was only supposed to be a test run) - which was why her ship became derelict. (Sink or Swim, strip 103)
- Since she has no name, and is a blank slate, Cere gives her the name Nil. (Sink or Swim, strip 106)
- She likes earth tones, sugar, space, and Outback.
- She's a fairly blank slate, with few memories before her rescue, naive, and prone to react with anger and violence when surprised or upset.
- Slow in social situations, quick to over-react. She's quiet, timid, and curious.
- She's lost about how to care for herself, and will overpush herself. Does not know her own limits or strengths, nor how to relate to others. Does not know how to -live-.
- Not used to being small and defenseless, since in her 'other frame' she was strong, and equal or superior to everyone she met. (Sink or Swim, strip 144)
- She doesn't like being looked at. She doesn't know how to feel about it and it confuses her. (Sink or Swim, strip 169)
- The Fox who owned her want her back. Though considered 'infected' by her free time, they feel it can be reversed given time, and consider her much too expensive to lose. (Sink or Swim, strip 174)
- She recognizes Toni and Fairfax on sight. (Sink or Swim, strip 224)
- Feels she belongs with them and on the ship, and was safe there, but also doesn't want to leave Outback. (Sink or Swim, strip 225)
- Claims she did not dream while uplinked. (Sink or Swim, strip 277) Outback tells her all she did was dream. (Sink or Swim, strip 278)