- Black Fox
- Appears in
- Campus Safari, Sink or Swim, and Akaelae
- Black fur with white mask, hair and tip of tail. Bright hazel eyes. In Campus Safari he has yellow hair.
- Father, Mother
- (in Pawprints) (Darrik's mother is a goutouve warrior, her blue fur would dictate engineer/technology oriented careers, obviously, but those restrictions were a stereotype at the time she served in the gryphon guard ranks. His father was a high ranking black fox courier for the royal houses.)
- Wife (in Campus Safari and Sink or Swim)
- Roommate (in Akaelae)
- Grandfather (in Akaelae)
Born on Cyantia and raised on Earth, he knew of life on Cyantia only through what his family would tell him. This was due to his family fleeing through the warp gate (the door of light as they referred to it) to escape from the Gold Fox. He was an infant at this time (and at age 13 he was 10 years older than the last reported black fox sighting on Cyantia). (Akaelae, strip 78) They would settle in the swamp unbeknownst to the rest of humanity save for the locals who kept them safe.
In Akaelae, he becomes trapped on Cyantia after encountering a Gold Fox named Filaire who just happened to be out in the swamp that fateful night, with Rama lurking in the background.(Akaelae, strip 70) She captures Darrik and takes him through the warp gate where he manages to escape and wind up in Centralis. (Akaelae, strip 82) A few months later, after a short adventure, he gets caught by Darius as he sleeps in Darius' hideout.(Akaelae, strip 173) He is taken to Akaelae Towers, and Syrys would suggest he stay until he was 15, since he didn't want to give away the secret and tell where on Earth he was from, and was too young for them to leave him on his own in a random place on Earth, (Akaelae, strip 191) and given a room on the Trinid floor (though others call it the Secrets Floor)(Akaelae, strip 195), where he is set up with Lucas as his roommate. (Akaelae, strip 222) He does not seem to like his roommate very much, and thinks he talks too much. (Akaelae, strip 227) Later, after Lucas falls asleep, Darrik sneaks out for a nighttime adventure. He is amazed by the wonders in Akaelae Towers, and wonders if the fox cities are anything like it. (Akaelae, strip 275) He would see Jasmine passing, before Quinn distracted him, (Akaelae, strip 280) then find a letter and trinket left for him by Jasmine. (Akaelae, strip 284)
Syrys would arrange for him to be tutored in Cyantian Common Language and Wolven by Crissy. (Akaelae, strip 347) Knowing he would be changing rooms, he decided to seek Jasmine out (Akaelae, strip 402) since she had reached out to him, and mistaking her for a white fox who was as rare as he was. (Akaelae, strip 403) Once he talked to her, he would be a bit shocked by her attitude towards the wolves in the Tower. (Akaelae, strip 417)
Later on a trip to Gralen Cragg he would meet Tira, a real white fox.
In Campus Safari, and a brief introduction in Sink or Swim, he is now married to Tamera and becomes a father to a litter of four kits that she births during a birthing ceremony.
- Like all Fox, he is inquisitive. This is what compelled him to check out the light and other activity that fateful night in Akaelae and get him captured. (Akaelae, strip 68)
- He was 13 Earth years old at the time he came to Cyantia (as well as 5'3" and 140 lbs), Syrys Akaelae suggests he stay with them until he turns 15.
- Loves the sound of rain. (Akaelae, strip 169)
Known traits and abilities
- Like all Black Fox, he seems to have the ability to control energy and convert it from one state to another, such as lightening bolts and energy blasts. However, during Akaelae he is oblivious to this ability and is yet to understand it.
- First teleport was seen in Akaelae, strip 591
- First use of energy blast in Akaelae, strip 610, which left him wiped out afterwards. (Akaelae, strip 612)
- He first displays a reactive manipulation of energy in a fight against a "demon horse" which is later revealed to be like an advanced type of technomage familiar. (Akaelae, strip 635)
- Mercial reveals to Syrys, later on while Darrik isn't present, that he is in danger of dying if he doesn't learn to control and release the energy associated with his ability. (Akaelae, strip 662)
- He has a heavy Cajun accent when he speaks. (Darius, strip 64)
- Darrik grew up among his own kind. They all speak Khasi. But he was around a small population of fox who pretty much speak Khasi/Rusiet because it's their native language and the older ones don't see much point in learning anything else, although they DO know quite a bit of English,... and probably french. He did have human friends though, such as Josh and Cari whom he was out fishing with when they ran across Filaire. (Akaelae, strip 68) He did not initially know Wolf language. (Akaelae, strip 72)
- Darrik isn't used to such a differentiation between fox and non-fox like Jasmine used. Even though he's been given a general warning about Cyantians, it's only to avoid foxes that he doesn't know of a certain color, not all of them, like family members who happen to be gold. They've pretty much started an entirely new society on Earth.
- His parents were all palace guards before their exodus to earth.
- Claims not to be an artist.
- First appeared in Pawprints in the Darrik storyline protesting that he didn't want a Guardian since he had a cat named Peaches whom he loved very much, despite his parents protests that a Guardian was more useful and could be ridden when older, and that both of them and the rest of their family were Guardian riders.
- His Guardian would be introduced as Shooting Star though called Flickerwing when caring for her was made part of his chores. She would be called Shooting Star through the rest.
- Peaches would immediately befriend her.
- The affection between Peaches and Shooting Star would wear him down, and he would admit he was afraid to accept her because she would die some day, remembering how sad his father was when his Gryphon Dayspring dies. His parents would comfort his fears, and he would accept her.
- His first Akaelae appearance was him hiding beneath the Transitional School the others were attending. (Akaelae, strip 64) He was fearful of staying in the city, but the city held the only light that could take him home. (Akaelae, strip 66) He would flee the tunnels when Collin discovered him, who later brought Darius and the others to investigate. (Akaelae, strip 99) Quinn would later spy him in the park, (Akaelae, strip 118) and sensing he was hungry, she would swipe Darius' lunch (Akaelae, strip 123) and give it to him. (Akaelae, strip 125) After eating he would have a run around town, looking for a new place, and ended up in Darius' play house. (Akaelae, strip 169)
- He had no knowledge of the powers of the Black Fox, (Akaelae, strip 225) or anything about the Black Fox on Cyantia. (Akaelae, strip 332)
- Lucas introduced him to Chai, Sylvan, Quio, and Amber. (Akaelae, strip 230)
- Received a letter and trinket from Jasmine, (Akaelae, strip 284) and apparently thinks she's beautiful. (Akaelae, strip 380)
- Is apparently not fluent in written Khasi (Akaelae, strip 286)
- Possibly has siblings named Bayli and Rubin (Akaelae, strip 287)
- Had his fur dyed to disguise himself as a gold fox during Akaelae so that his black fur wouldn't draw unwanted attention from other foxes. (Gold was the color that won the auction, among the other natural fox colors was also purple, which was later revealed that if it had won would have been a transitional color fading into blue) (Akaelae, strip 382)
- Later had a purple transitional phase going into gold. (Akaelae, strip 475, 495)
- He was too young to remember any of the journey when he first traveled to Earth. (Akaelae, strip 344)
- Was tricked by Lucas into eating Digni food, which is bugs. (Akaelae, strip 381)
- First appeared in Darius sympathizing with Lucas' not getting to go to Darius' birthday party. (Darius, strip 62)
- He offers to let Lucas come with him to his home if they ever get back to Earth. (Darius, strip 64)
- His family live in houses in the trees of a grove of mangrove trees which form a fence of sorts which keep the big alligators out. Unfortunately they can't keep out oil spills. (Darius, strip 66) (Tiffany looked for a tree that would be big enough to put a house in it and be located in Florida/Arkansas/Lousiana and came across the mangrove, which is a very interesting tree in how it grows from the ‘top down’. It could probably be manipulated and a well hidden group of homes could be easily carved into them with the right tools. Got gryphons to keep the snakes out.. along with a few other native Cyantian creatures that were brought across as pets. And the cats… there are a LOT of domestic cats living with the foxes as pets because they like cats.) It's only reachable by boat, and few humans come by... and those that do have to get past their friends first. (Darius, strip 64)
- First introduced in silhouette as passenger to be picked up by the Roo ship in Florida along with Rayne and his wife Tamera in Sink or Swim. (Sink or Swim, strip 39)
- Later seen after boarding sitting with the others on the ship. (Sink or Swim, strip 56)
- First appeared in Campus Safari standing with Tamera for the birth of their cubs. (Campus Safari, strip 401)
- He helped with the delivery of the first kit, as according to custom. (Campus Safari, strip 406) The one he held was black. (Campus Safari, strip 408)
- Darrik was originally adopted by Celina's mother. In the original stories.