- Solid dark red, black arms and hands, black beak, blue eyes, male
- Part of Great Mother's story of the first gryphons to come to their mountain. (Vas, strip 306)
- They were newly mated and had flown until their wings were weary away from a crowded nesting place to find a cave to be a home for the clutch they would have next spring. (Vas, strip 309)
- The lands they were from did not have a cold season like their new home, and they were unprepared, (Vas, strip 310) having never even seen snow before. (Vas, strip 311)
- After surviving a harsh winter, having been reduced to eating nuts, roots, and carrion, only one viable egg was laid. (Vas, strip 318)
- He knew the last egg would probably not hatch, and if it did the chick would be too weak too survive, so advised his mate to discard it so they could devote more time to getting ready for the winter, though acquiesced when she wanted to keep it . (Vas, strip 319)
- He felt the chicks did not survive because he was a bad mate, but ran into the Creator who felt otherwise. (Vas, strip 320) The Creator told him his last egg would hatch, and he would find other gifts when the snow falls. (Vas, strip 321)
- Nightwing gained his name in part because he was darker in color than his siblings.
- His coloration is based on a cardinal's.
- They left their previous clan in part because it was growing crowded, but also because their chicks would be closely watched by the others of the clan and have their positions in the clan severely limited or even chosen for them because their parents were of different subspecies.